Pan-fried Vanilla Cod
Pan-fried Vanilla Cod on a bed of crushed Olive Oil Potatoes, with sautéed Spring Onions and Green Beans, finished with Roasted Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes (Created by Daniel Reid, Castleton House Hotel, Birkhill-by-Dundee).
What to do
1. Place the cod in a bowl with some olive oil, salt and pepper and the vanilla and leave to marinate.
2. Boil the new potatoes until cooked (skin on to preserve flavour) then cool and peel.
3. Prepare the spring onions and the green beans to approximately 2.5cm, chop the chives finely and julienne the leek.
4. Reduce the red wine by about 75% and the same for the balsamic vinegar. Mix the two together and add the sugar. Add seasoning as required.
5. Heat up a pan for the fish and another pan with vegetable oil for the leeks.
6. Drizzle a little balsamic reduction and olive oil over the cherry tomatoes and place in hot oven for 3 minutes. At the same time, place the leeks in the hot oil for the same amount of time. Remove leeks and drain excess oil. Cook the fish skin side down until crispy, then turn over for another couple of minutes. Drain excess oil from fish once cooked.
7. Sautee the beans and spring onions in a pan with a little oil. In another pan, put the olive oil in with the new potatoes and lightly crush the potatoes. When hot, add some chives and place in a circular mould on a serving plate. Place the spring onions, beans and cherry tomatoes in a ring around the mould. Add a few chives to the sauce, then drizzle around the plate. Place fish skin side up on top of the potatoes and top with the crispy leeks
4 fillets of Norwegian cod (skin on)
24 new potatoes
20 fine green beans
20 fine spring onions
100 ml balsamico vinegar
100 ml red wine
2 vanilla pods
20 cherry tomatoes
1 bunch chives
2 tablespoons caster sugar
Type of dish: Main course
Occasion: Dinner party
Season: All year
Cooking method: Fried
Type of cuisine: International
Source/Photo: Norwegian Seafood Export Council